Oh my God! can you believe we are already in May??? Three lessons left with my intermediate students and so much to teach them!
I have to admit that we are all tired. If last week felt long I wonder how is this next week going to feel? I read somewhere that this feeling is called Short Timers Disease ( a disease, really?? ). Apparently , it is an ailment that prolongs time and saps your enthusiasm when a holiday is imminent.
So, being in May, are you suffering from this mythical Short Timers Disease?? Let’s hope not.
These are the Speaking Activities I am planning to do with Intermediate Students . There is a bit of everything in the hope that they enjoy my last lessons.
You can download the whole lesson plan here.
TASK 1. JUST FOR FUN . Ask one student to read the following poem aloud. ( good to introduce some new vocabulary). It is called BEFORE THE COMPUTER
BEFORE THE COMPUTER
An application was for employment
A program was a TV show
A cursor used profanity
A keyboard was a piano!
Memory was something that you lost with age
A CD was a bank account!
And if you had a broken disk,
It would hurt when you found out!
Compress was something you did to garbage
Not something you did to a file
And if you unzipped anything in public
You’d be in jail for awhile!
Log on was adding wood to a fire
Hard drive was a long trip on the road
A mouse pad was where a mouse lived
And a backup happened to your commode!
Cut–you did with a pocket knife
Paste you did with glue
A web was a spider’s home
And a virus was the flu!
I guess I’ll stick to my pad and paper
And the memory in my head
I hear nobody’s been killed in a computer crash
But when it happens they wish they were dead!
TASK 2. PICTURE DESCRIPTION. PREPARING FOR CERTIFICACION EXAM. Student describe and comment on the following pictures. (useful vocabulary here)
TASK 3. VIDEO Ask students if they know what the term Nomophobia means. Play the video I forgot my Phone and ask students to share their thoughts.
Task 4. SOME QUESTIONS TO TALK ABOUT
· What are some of the benefit and dangers of the Internet?
· What is your favourite piece of technology?
· Are there any new gadgets that you really want to get?
· What are the main ways in which technology has changed society?
· What do you think elderly people think of modern technology?
· How have technological advances affected your life?
· Do you think modern technology reduces or increases stress? Why?
· How has technology changed education?
· How do you think face to face communication differs from communication using computers?
· Are you connected to the Internet at home? What do you use your connection for?
· What’s your favourite website?
· Do you often buy things over the net?
· Do you use social network services such as Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn?
· If you do, How often do you use it/them?
2 thoughts on “Lesson Plan : Technology”
I am happy that you like it! Thanks for your comment!
Thank you Cristina. A wonderful lesson. You’ve saved my day!