I’ve been using Wordle for quite a long time now but this idea is something I have not yet tried. This task involves using this great little tool called Wordle and the very popular Breaking News English site.
I read about this idea in Marisa Constantinides’ blog, which I highly recommend if you’re a teacher.
• Tell students they are going to write a short news report. Write on the backboard the following heading
” Teacher on trial for attacking student”
and ask students to comment of this heading and what they think might lead a teacher to attack a student.
• Display with the OHP the Wordle and ask students in pairs to brainstorm ideas for an article using the words in the Wordle Cloud. Explain new vocabulary if necessary
• Give students about 15 minutes to write the first draft of the article.
• Play the audio from Breaking News English twice and ask students to add, improve or edit their articles.
• Students write the final draft of the article on a coloured sheet of paper, which is them posted out on the walls of the classroom. Students stand up, read everybody’s article and vote for the best.
Students compare their aticle with the real one. Click here
• Finally, it would be interesting to talk a bit about the role a teacher plays in our society. These questions might be helpful to get them started.
Do you think being a teacher is easy or difficult?
Do you feel sorry for Mr Harvey or the student?
What kind of behaviour do you see in your classroom?
What can society do to make students respect their teachers?
If web cameras were put in classrooms, teachers would teach better classes and students would behave better. What do you think?